Monday, July 5, 2010

50 Years Ago...

In 1960, the Marvin Janne family moved from Ellis, Kansas to Arizona, arriving on July 5. I remember the date easily because as a 7 year old girl, I was worried we wouldn't get to see fireworks when we were traveling on the 4th of July. However, my parents made sure my sister and I were able to see some fireworks...somewhere in New Mexico, we spotted some fireworks from our motel parking lot. My parents were not quite 29 years old when they left their Kansas home and family, venturing West to a new beginning. Dad went to carpenter school and found odd jobs to feed his family. Mom sewed clothes for us, and for a few months we stayed with my Dad's cousin's family in Mesa, where we eventually built the home that my parents still reside in. Arriving in Arizona in mid-summer was pretty shocking, especially when one considers the fact that, in those days, cars didn't have air conditioning, and most of the houses here had swamp coolers. Thinking about this makes me appreciate what a stable upbringing I had. Once here in Arizona, we never moved again. I think my parents were tired of moving, having had to move several times while my Dad was in the Air Force.

To help us celebrate July 4th, 50 years later, daughter Alissa

and hubby Alan

came over to join us for hotdogs, watermelon and fireworks.
The Big League Dreams Park hosted the Town of Gilbert's fireworks display this year. The park is located about 1/2 mile from our house to the east. We were able to enjoy the fireworks display from our backyard...pretty cool! I made a special dessert for the holiday: a RED, WHITE AND BLUEBERRY TORTE. I think it's a "keeper" so will share the recipe below the photo!


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9" round cake pan with wax paper; grease paper. Combine 3/4 c. suger, 6 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp water in a small heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Add 3/4 c. chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Add 2 eggs, beating after each egg. Add 2/3 cup flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt. Stir again until well blended. Add another 3/4 c. chocolate chips. Stir and pour into prepared cake pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out "slightly sticky". Cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert "torte" onto wire cooling rack; remove wax paper. Turn right side up and cool completely. While cooling, beat one 8 oz pkg. (room temperature) cream cheese, 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla until creamy. Stir in one-half of 8 oz. container of whip topping. Spread this mixture over cooled torte; top with 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries and 1/4 cup fresh blueberries. Refrigerate until ready to serve!

1 comment:

  1. MMMM that looks yummy, I will have to try that out ! Those fireworks were really loud weren't they in our backyards !What a memory you have...I didn't remember that we got to see fireworks 50 year ago ! I guess I was 5 and must not have been as worried !!:-)

    ReplyDelete