Friday, February 17, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARIZONA!!

Celebrating a Centennial Birthday is a big deal...and we have been planning for Arizona's Centennial for the past year in the Library at Skyline where I work.  Starting in 2008, we have encouraged and promoted the ONEBOOK AZ program which promotes the idea that Arizona residents should ALL read one book together during the same year.  My favorite ONEBOOK was the 2008 winner,  These is My Words by Nancy Turner.  Turner's book was based on the diary of Sarah Prine (her grandmother) who wrote of her family's move to southern Arizona in the late 1800's.  Check out this website for information about the 2012 ONEBOOK AZ selection: http://www.onebookaz.org/ Since 2007, this organization promotes reading of Arizona-related books leading up to 2012 for the Centennial celebration.

Starting in the Fall of 2011, the wheels in my head were turning, and I began to collect tidbits here and there for displays in the Library.

 In January, we assembled lots of signs and posters, including a timeline of Arizona's history which we hung on one wall in the library earlier this month. Our Student Council painted some great signs to hang outdoors on the buildings to generate some enthusiasm. We set up a nice book display table of a great collection of Arizona-themed books.

 My co-workers and I planned a "birthday party" complete with balloons, cookies and lemonade for the big day.  Invitations were delivered to mailboxes on Feb. 1st, and we received some great compliments from many faculty and staff members who came to celebrate with us on the 14th!
On Feb. 14, my staff and I were dressed in our "Arizona" shirts, ready to host the party in our magazine room of the Library. Here are Colleen (center) and Holly (left) who are amazing and hard workers...we make a great team! Even after living in Arizona for most of my life, I am still learning new things about this beautiful state.  I am anxious to go and buy the Arizona postage stamp that was issued on Statehood Day...it looks like a beautiful stamp!
Can you name the 5 C's of Arizona??  If not, I have a book just for you!

1 comment:

  1. You put alot of work into all that! Looks like fun! I loved the Sarah Prine books too and have read all 3!Those early settlers led a hard life!

    ReplyDelete