Sunday, July 21, 2013

SPECIAL VISIT TO STRAWBERRY, ARIZONA

I had a chance to escape from the valley heat and head north to join my folks at their "home away from home" in Strawberry!  It was great....I arrived early on a Thursday morning, and just missed seeing a deer who had wandered past the back of their property, munching on the tall grasses.

Instead we did get to enjoy watching the squirrels scatter the seeds that Dad puts out for the birds; they were looking for the favorite sunflower seeds! The birds gathered each afternoon for a bath...and of course I tried to capture it on my camera, but really didn't have the right equipment for a close-up!
There are at least 5 or 6 little birds in this photo!





I enjoyed seeing all their beautiful fruit trees and even found some tiny grapes growing on their grapevines.
 Looks like they'll have a big crop of apples again this year!

Before my arrival, Mom and Dad had worked their tails off moving firewood away from their house onto new firewood holders...
I had hoped to help them with a bigger project during my visit, but instead we mostly relaxed on their deck, ate too much good food that was very plentiful.  Dad and I worked on his WWII airplane jigsaw puzzle...what a challenge it has been.
I enjoyed reading in the afternoons, and Mom crocheted during the evenings.  She's adding rows of yarn to one of her own mother's rugs so that they can use it in their kitchen.  I also loved reading the second volume of a scrapbook/photo album that she has made about their Strawberry house.

We all enjoyed watching some baseball on TV in the evenings, and enjoyed a delicious pizza one night from Mama Jo's pizzeria in Strawberry!  One afternoon we had a beautiful monsoon thunderstorm...and the rain came down steadily for at least two hours!  There's nothing like thunder in the mountains!!

                                   Thanks again for your wonderful hospitality...I so appreciated the chance to spend time together with both of you!





2 comments: